[R-sig-ME] seeking input lme4::glmer with a gamma family: link = log or identity?

Scott LaPoint @dl@point @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Jul 26 22:00:40 CEST 2018

Thank you Thierry,

The model below does converge and does not produce any warning messages,
but the random effect variance and std dev are both = 0:

mDist <- glmer(distance ~ CSs.lat + CSdirect + CSstart + year + age*sex +
(1|id), data = birds, family = Gamma(link = log), nAGQ = 10, control =
glmerControl(optimizer = "bobyqa"))

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it is possible (but
perhaps unlikely) to have these values = 0. If so, I believe this implies
that either the random effect variable is truly not variable or that the
variance of the random effect is being captured by the other fixed effects.
In my case, that might imply that any variation between birds is captured
by year, age, or sex. So, assuming that logic is correct (and it may not
be), then the following model would most likely show a variance and std dev
> 0:

mDist <- glmer(distance ~ CSs.lat + (1|id), data = birds,  family =
Gamma(link = log), nAGQ = 10, control = glmerControl(optimizer = "bobyqa"))

But, it does not, and still shows a variance and std dev of 0. A quick
boxplot of distance grouped by bird id shows both substantial variation
across birds and at times within birds.

Perhaps I'm still missing something? Is 137 observations really too few for
a model with 1 fixed and 1 random effect variable?

Apologies for my ignorance. I do appreciate the guidance while I learn to
swim in the GLMM sea.

scott

Scott LaPoint
Postdoctoral Researcher, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia
University
Associate Scientist, Max-Planck Institute for Ornithology
skype: scott_lapoint
twitter @sdlapoint
scottlapoint.weebly.com