[R-sig-ME] Problems-running-glmmadmb

Ben Bolker bbolker @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Jul 25 19:41:00 CEST 2018

It's hard to know without a reproducible example: the most likely
situation is that your data are a little more complex than your model
can handle, and that the optimizer is failing (or, more mildly, it's
finding a solution but the variance-covariance matrix is not positive
definite, meaning it can't reliably compute standard errors for the
parameters).  Your two choices:

(1) provide a lot more detail about your problem and see if you can
find someone with the time and energy to reproduce the problem and see
what's going wrong
(2) try using the glmmTMB package instead; it's faster, more stable,
and more or less does all the things that glmmADMB does. For the model
you have written above, glmer.nb from the lme4 package should also
work ...