[R-sig-ME] r crossed nested random effects lme4

Alday, Phillip Phillip@Ald@y @ending from mpi@nl
Thu Jun 28 21:59:54 CEST 2018

lme4 doesn't force a hard nested-crossed distinction and can handle implicit nesting/crossing easily (assuming unique identifiers, which you have), so you don't have to worry about that.

The only "problem" I see with your model is that it is an "intercept-only" model. Given that there are only three items per condition, this makes sense for the by-item random effect. But you should consider whether the by-subject random effect should have a slope for condition. This is all assuming that you only sent us a screenshot of the top of the dataset and that you have more than three subjects ...

There are some more general issues about whether you should transform reaction time, but a quick search will yield lots of papers discussing the pros and cons of that.

Finally, please be kind to the list and be consistent in your names -- you swap back and forth between Group and Cond in your description.

Phillip