[R-sig-ME] Errors in GLMER

Michiel Kiggen michiel@kiggen @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jun 25 18:33:02 CEST 2018

Dear Thierry

Thanks so much for comments, I really appreciate it.

Based on your feedback, I'm running the following model now:

model_poly_nc <- glmer(AoR ~ Offers_lin*(sFW*sMF)+ Offers_quad *(sFW*sMF) +
(1 |ID)+ (0 + Offers_lin| ID)+(0 + Offers_quad| ID),family = binomial, data
= data, control = glmerControl(optCtrl = list(maxfun = 1e+9)))

*Offers_lin* & *Offers_quad* are the trial variables (polynomials for
linear and quadratic patterns). Both of them are centered. Metric is from 1
till 10. (1 being trial in which people get lowest offer and 10 being the
highest offer in an ultimatum game)
*sFW* & *sMF *are the continous questionairre sumscores, standardized &
centered.
*DV* (2 level factor accept or reject)
*n = 103*

I ran the model with covariance terms for the random effects. It didn't
converge, neither with optimizers bobyqa & Nelder_Mead.
However, the function *allFit,* strangely returned *[OK] for bobyqa,
Nelder_Mead, nloptwrap.NLOPT_LN_NELDERMEAD & nloptwrap.NLOPT_LN_BOBYQA*.
The model above is without covariance terms for the random effects. After
running this I get the same convergence issue and the same output on
allFit:  [OK] for bobyqa, Nelder_Mead, nloptwrap.NLOPT_LN_NELDERMEAD
& nloptwrap.NLOPT_LN_BOBYQA.

Using the *getME *function to look at the different *Fixed Effects*
generated by *allFit* (no covariance term model, as described above), it
reveals that the numbers are similar for bobyqa,  loptwrap.NLOPT_LN_NELDERMEAD
& nloptwrap.NLOPT_LN_BOBYQA. While for the Nelder_mead numbers are just
slightly different. Like a 0.02 difference.

For the seperate Models with optimizers Bobyqa & Nelder_Mead (both with
convergence issues), the fixed effects were exactly the same.

I'm not sure how to interpret these allFit function results. For what
patterns should I look incase I want to conclude these warnings are
false-positives?
Else, what options do I have? I've already stripped the model of it random
covariances (Removing the random slope will make the purpose of using Mixed
Models dispensable).

My apologies if I'm asking any obvious questions. First time i'm running
this kind of analysis.

Any help is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Michiel