[R-sig-ME] Non-Normal and Heteroskedastic Residuals in Longitudinal Model Due to Non-Normal DV - Percentile Bootstrap Sufficient, or Wild Bootstrap Needed?

David Jones d@vid@tn@jone@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jun 11 15:59:24 CEST 2018

I am looking to model quality of life (QOL) as a DV over time. The DV
shows strong negative skew. I am wondering about the best way to
handle this (more detail below). Frequency distribution of QOL and
example code are also at the end of this message.

Many participants just say that their quality of life is great, and
thus there is a ceiling effect with many values clustered at the
highest value. While the distribution resembles y=e^x, I have not been
able to fit a distribution via GLMM that results in normally
distributed and homoskedastic residuals (including gamma and inverse
gaussian). A number of DV transformations have not worked either
(e.g., log, exponential, Box-Cox), in large part because of the large
proportion of values at the maximum level of QOL, which creates a
spike at the end of the distribution. I could try zero-inflated models
by transforming the dv (multiply by -1 and put the starting value at
0), but even then there will still be a disproportionate number of
values clustered at one end.

My question: I am particularly interested in fixed effects parameters
from a longitudinal model, and was thinking of testing these
parameters by using percentile bootstrap CIs via confint(). However,
the residuals from a lmer model are both non-normal and
heteroskedastic - will percentile bootstrap of beta coefficients
address this, or can only the wild bootstrap address these issues (as
it is targeted to residuals)? I have a basic understanding of the
bootstrap but am not an expert regarding its use in linear models.

Many thanks!

# Example lmer code
model <- lmer(QOL ~ poly(time, 2) + (time | ID), data=dataset, REML =
FALSE )

# Frequency distribution

QOL    valid_percent
25    0.000308261