[R-sig-ME] p-values from model fitting or glht?

Sorkin, John j@orkin @ending from @om@um@ryl@nd@edu
Thu Jun 7 02:14:50 CEST 2018

Cristiano,

Is the difference in the p value simply due to the difference in the tests that are being done? The summary statistic is using a Student's t-test which for 15 degrees of freedom for a two-tailed p value of 0.05 has a critical value of 2.131 while the post-hoc test is performed using a z-test which for a two-tailed p value of 0.05 has a critical value of 1.96. One should also note the the SE for the summary statistic is 1.42 while the SE for the post-hoc test is 1.37. I don't know why these values are different; I suspect they are calculated differently.

For small sample sizes Wald's statistic (the difference of two means divided by the SE of the difference, which when applied to the post-hoc test is equivalent to a z test) can be too liberal. For these cases, a likelihood ratio test has been recommended to me.

I hope this helps, or at least does not confuse.

John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524