[R-sig-ME] dropping interaction terms

Sorkin, John j@orkin @ending from @om@um@ryl@nd@edu
Wed Jun 6 20:45:13 CEST 2018

Cristiano,

Your question has no absolutely correct answer.

If you have reason to believe that there is an interaction, even though your model does not demonstrate a significant interaction, you could justify leaving the interaction in the model and doing your post hoc tests. If you believe that the result you obtained regarding the interaction, that the interaction is not significant, then it would be most appropriate to drop the interaction, re-run the model and do your post-hoc tests.

Why would you want to do post hoc tests in a model that contains an interaction, an interaction that the model indicates is not significant, unless you have other data that lead you to believe that the interaction represents physical truth? If you have other data suggesting that the interaction does in fact represent reality (even though your data do not support this) you might want to include the interaction in you post hoc tests to as to most accurately model reality.

The above represents on old statistician's opinion. Like much in statistics the answer to your question reflects that fact that much of statistics is art rather than science.

John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524