[R-sig-ME] partially crossed design, longitudinal

Cristiano Alessandro cri@@le@@@ndro @ending from gm@il@com
Fri May 25 22:49:41 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I have a longitudinal study in which I measure the outcome variables at
baseline condition (bas), then I apply a perturbation (pert) and I measure
the outcome variable twice (early and late after perturbation is applied),
and then I remove the perturbation (noPert) and I measure twice (early and
late after perturbation is applied).

I would like to use mixed models for this design, but I am a bit confused
on how to do it. I could just have a single fixed effects 'time' with
levels 1 to 5, where level 1 would be baseline, level 2 would be pert/early
and so on. I think this is not the best design though. Alternatively, I
could use a fixed effects 'condition' with levels bas, pert, noPert,
crossed with another fixed effect 'time' with levels early/late. However,
this last design has the problem that I do not have early/late for baseline
actually.

Do you have suggestion of what to do in a case like this?

Thanks a lot
Cristiano