[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm models and (quasi-)complete separation

Jasmin Herden j@@min@herden @ending from gm@il@com
Fri May 25 14:05:33 CEST 2018

Dear David,

a)

*Dear Jasmin. I, at least, would need to see some kind of data to
understand your comments re separation etc.*
Here are the first few lines of the data set.

> head(dsetMailingList)       Site Field Species PlantID native.neophyte Treatment Seed_family Origin survival_to_harvest   Sp_Sf Field_Subplot
355 Potsdam    DB     Dat Dat10CK        neophyte       CON
E10      K                   1 Dat.E10        DB _ C
356 Potsdam    MQ     Dat Dat10CK        neophyte       CON
E10      K                   0 Dat.E10        MQ _ B
357 Potsdam    GR     Dat Dat10CK        neophyte       CON
E10      K                   1 Dat.E10        GR _ B
358 Potsdam    GR     Dat Dat10CP        neophyte       CON
10      P                   0  Dat.10        GR _ B
359 Potsdam    DB     Dat Dat10CP        neophyte       CON
10      P                   1  Dat.10        DB _ A
360 Potsdam    MQ     Dat Dat10CP        neophyte       CON
10      P                   1  Dat.10        MQ _ B

b) *Does a simpler model run eg dropping field_block and simplifying the
fixed effects? And does such a model run in lmer or other programs?*

I had originally started with a binomial glmer model, but in most species
this lead to ridiculously large standard errors. These large SE values are
indicative of quasi-complete separation (i.e. nearly complete 0 or 1 for
one factor level). (See also the following link:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2010q3/004172.html).

I have tried using blglmer as suggested by Ben Bolker in the example
referenced in my first post to the mailing list. In principle, all models
with complete separation looked good with bglmer.
However, my intended approach in glmer was to take the full model and get
likelihood ratio tests and corresponding p-values for the fixed effects by
step-wise model
reduction. Theoretically, this is also possible with bglmer, but Ben Bolker
advised against using bglmer for more than just an overall model check in
several posts. Furthermore, I am not quite sure if or how I need to adjust
the priors in bglmer during step-wise model reduction or if step-wise model
reduction is appropiate for bglmer at all. Ben Bolker recommended using the
MCMCglmm package instead of bglmer for a proper analysis.

Due to my approach of testing all fixed effects (Site, Origin, and
Treatment, and interactions) in my local adaptation study, reducing the
fixed effects is not really an option.

Kind regards,
Jasmin Herden