[R-sig-ME] What is the appropriate zero-correlation parameter model for factors in lmer?

Reinhold Kliegl reinhold@kliegl @ending from gm@il@com
Tue May 22 00:21:55 CEST 2018

Sorry, I am somewhat late to this conversation. I am responding to this
thread, because it fits my comment very well, but it was initially
triggered by a previous thread, especially Rune Haubo's post here [1]. So I
hope it is ok to continue here.

I have a few comments and questions. For details I refer to an RPub I put
up along with this post [2]. I start with a translation between Rune
Haubo's fm's and the terminology I use in the RPub:

 fm1 = y ~ 1 + f + (1 | g)            # minimal LMM (minLMM)
 fm3 = y ~ 1 + f + (0 + f || g)       # zero-corr param LMM with 0 in RE
(zcpLMM_RE0)
 fm4 = y ~ 1 + f + (1 | g) + (1|f:g)  # LMM w/ fixed x random factor
interaction (intLMM),
 fm6 = y ~ 1 + f + (1 + f |  g)       # maximal LMM (maxLMM)
 fm7 = y ~ 1 + f + (1 + f || g)       # zero-corr param LMM with 1 in RE
(zcpLMM_RE1)

Notes: f is a fixed factor, g is a group (random) factor; fm1 to fm6 are in
Rune Haubo's post; fm7 is new (added by me). I have not used fm2 and fm5 so
far (see below).

(I) The post was triggered by the question whether intLMM is nested under
zcpLMM. I had included this LRT in my older RPub cited in the thread, but I
stand corrected and agree with Rune Haubo that intLMM is not nested under
zcpLMM. For example, in the new RPub, I show that slightly modified
Machines data exhibit smaller deviance for intLMM than zcpLMM despite an
additional model parameter in the latter. Thanks for the critical reading.

(II) Here are Runo Haubo's sequences (left, resorted) augmented with my
translation (right)

(1) fm6 -> fm5 -> fm4 -> fm1  # maxLMM_RE1 -> fm5 -> intLMM     -> minLMM
(2) fm6 -> fm5 -> fm4 -> fm2  # maxLMM_RE1 -> fm5 -> intLMM     -> fm2
(3) fm6 -> fm5 -> fm3 -> fm2  # maxLMM_RE1 -> fm5 -> zcpLMM_RE0 -> fm2

and here are sequences I came up with (left) augmented with translation
into RH's fm's.

(1) maxLMM_RE1 -> intLMM     -> minLMM  # fm6 -> fm4 -> fm1
(3) maxLMM_RE0 -> zcpLMM_RE0            # fm6 -> fm3
(4) maxLMM_RE1 -> zcpLMM_RE1 -> minLMM  # fm6 -> fm7 -> fm1  (new sequence)

(III) I have questions about fm2 and fm5.
   fm2: fm2 redefines the levels of the group factor (e.g., in the cake
data there are 45 groups in fm2 compared to 15 in the other models). Why is
fm2 nested under fm3 and fm6? Somehow it looks to me that you include an
f:g interaction without the g main effect (relative to fm4). This looks
like an interesting model; I would appreciate a bit more conceptual support
for its interpretation in the model hierarchy.
   fm5: fm5 specifies 4 variance components (VCs), but the factor has only
3 levels. So to me this looks like there is redundancy built into the
model. In support of this intuition, for the cake data, one of the VCs is
estimated with 0. However, in the Machine data the model was not
degenerate. So I am not sure. In other words, if the factor levels are A,
B, C, and the two contrasts are c1 and c2, I thought I can specify either
(1 + c1 + c2) or (0 + A + B + C). fm5 specifies (1 + A + B + C) which is
rank deficient in the fixed effect part, but not necessarily in the
random-effect term. What am I missing here?

[1] https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2018q2/026775.html
[2] http://rpubs.com/Reinhold/391027

Best,
Reinhold Kliegl