[R-sig-ME] Question about continuous distributions in GLMM

Victoria Ortiz vicrot@@ @ending from gm@il@com
Wed May 9 20:16:48 CEST 2018

 Hi,
I'm so sorry for the delay in the response, I was with a lot of work.

With "variance components" I mean the partition of the total variance into
the different factors that explain it. Our interest is to have a
quantification of the portion of the variance explained by the different
factors, both random and fixed. Translated to the biology of our data, this
means to estimate genetic, genotype x environment variation, and
environment variation of the total phenotypic variation for a given trait
in a population. In particular, the objective is to compare this estimators
between diferent populations analyzed separately.

Additionaly, reading another topics of this mail list, I found that the
classical model for testing the interaction and obtain the variance
components would be a model like the following:

m2 <- lmer ( variable ~ fixed factor  1 * fixed factor 2 + (1 | random
factor) + (1 | fixed factor 1:random factor2) + (1 | fixed factor 2:random
factor) + (1| fixed factor 1:fixed factor 2:random factor))

So, with this model, in the summary I can see the partition of the total
variance of the random effects. Is this right?

Finally, if I want the p-values of the random effects, I should analize the
full and reduce models sequentially. Also, I found that another way to do
it is with the 'ranova' function from the lmerTest package, but the results
are very dissimilar. I don't know in wich analysis should I trust, I think
that in this case the sequentially one is correct.

Thank you for your time!
Victoria.