[R-sig-ME] spam backscatter from r-sig-mixed-models?

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Thu Apr 19 21:05:08 CEST 2018

Yes, someone seems to be scraping email addresses from all R mailing lists.  I replied to an R-devel post yesterday, and now Julia Cabrera is not messing around . . .

"Re: Re Rd R Bug write table for matrix of more than 2 147 483 648 elements

Julia Cabrera <JuliaCabrera at lk.mobilemessage.info>

Steven Baby, I am not playing with you at all ok. And for your information, I don’t have much time to waste sending emails. You should think about my privacy because of the fact that I am a woman. We can have a video chat with my other profile. The other profile doesn’t demand you to link a credit card. Let’s us Video Chat Here "

I'm not sure how one plugs up an open email list against such bot attacks.  It no doubt entails a more complex system that masks all email addresses and would bust the CRAN budget.

Funny that a bot is so busy as not to have time to waste sending emails . . .
Do bots have privacy rights?

Steven McKinney

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre