[R-sig-ME] "nesting for free" in lme4. Do I have this right?

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:16:56 CEST 2018

I agree that the terminology could go either way.  FWIW the GLMM FAQ
uses Thierry's convention, i.e. "If the lower-level random effect has
the same labels within each larger group (e.g. blocks 1, 2, 3, 4
within sites A, B, and C) then the explicit nesting (1|a/b) is
required. It seems to be considered best practice to code the nested
level uniquely (e.g. A1, A2, …, B1, B2, …) so that confusion between
nested and crossed effects is less likely" (similarly in my chapter 14
of Fox et al's Ecological Statistics book).