[R-sig-ME] adding a constant to a continuous dataset with zero values- to use the log transformation

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 23:01:21 CEST 2018

If it is just a choice between adding 1, adding 1/6 (as Tukey suggested), and adding 0.001,
that is not in principle different from choosing between: a negative binomial, a poisson,
a quasipoisson, negative binomial types I or II, Delaport, Poisson inverse gaussian. etc
(these are choices in the gamlss package; there are others in glmmTMB and in VGAM),
with choices of link function for the various parameters multiplying the range of possibilities.
The issues that this raises for inference, in cases where the choice is to an extent arbitrary,
are insufficiently acknowledged.

On the point about adding a constant to a continuous dataset with zero values to use the
log transformation, see the discussion at:

https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/114848/negative-binomial-glm-vs-log-transforming-for-count-data-increased-type-i-erro/215080#215080

For the hurricanes dataset (available as DAAG::hurricNamed) that is the basis for an analysis
and for graphs that I posted, a log(count+1) with gaussian error actually does better, as judged
by comparing the quantiles (use, e.g., gamlss::centiles().  The comparison is least favorable to
the negative binomial at the lower end of the damage category.
[It would be good to have a  predict(…, type=“quantile”), or suchlike, generally available.]

It is curious that there is such a range of alternatives for count data, but that the only widely
canvassed alternative to the binomial has been the  beta binomial, with zero-inflation and
hurdle effects adding to the mix.   I have been looking at data recently where the choice
between using glmer() with its ilimitation to binomial errors, and glmmTMB() with beta binomial
errors, with a scale parameter that is a function of the explanatory variable, makes a huge
difference.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald at anu.edu.au>