[R-sig-ME] adding a constant to a continuous dataset with zero values- to use the log transformation

Ahmad ahmadr215 at tpg.com.au
Tue Apr 3 11:42:57 CEST 2018

Hi all

My question here is related to my previous query on Geometric mean of log
data.
I have a continuous dataset with considerable number of zero values, and
not-normally distributed. Because of zero values, I won't be able to take
the log of this variable. It has been suggested by some to add a constant
(e.g. +1) to all data to be able to take the log of data. I can then
transform back the output of lm() or Mixed-model to the original scale using
exp() or emmeans function with "response" method as suggested by Russell
(russell-lenth at uiowa.edu).

I searched this (adding a constant) and found that views on this approach
are not consistent- I would like to see if anyone has experience on how to
deal with such data.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Ahmad