[R-sig-ME] What is the lmer/nlme equivalent of the REPEATED subcommand in SPSS's MIXED procedure?

Maarten Jung Maarten.Jung at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Wed Mar 21 13:07:31 CET 2018

Dear Ben,

I am a bit puzzled.

Do you mean that

m1 <- gls(value ~ factor1, data, correlation = corSymm(form = ~
1|participant), weights = varIdent(form = ~ 1|factor))

would be equivalent to

m2 <- lmer(value ~ factor1 + (factor1|participant), data)

and one should use gls() because it allows for the same covariance
structures as /REPEATED does?

And, if so, why should m2 cause an identification problem and m1 doesn't?

Regards,
Maarten