[R-sig-ME] different overdispersion parameter for binomial GLMM in, lme4, glmmADMB and glmmTMB (Muldoon, Ariel)

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 20 00:32:12 CET 2018

I have just now posted a document that bears on this at: https://rpubs.com/johnhm/Overdispersed

It explores, with a dataset that relates to work in which I have recently been involved,
the glmmTMB’s package recently added ability to use the betabinomial family to
model what is effectively dispersion, defined as the factor by which the variance
exceeds the binomial variance.  These abilities are clearly relatively undeveloped.
(I had to delve to discover how to extract the estimates of theta, for which see below.)
I was surprised at how easy it was to get models to converge that are some way
sensible.  What have others done to explore these abilities?  Comments will be very
welcome.

The betabinomial implies that the “dispersion” increases with the binomial size n,
whereas quasibinomial models assume a “dispersion" that is independent of n.

[The beta-binomial distribution accounts for a multiplier (effectively, a “dispersion”
estimate) that is the ratio of the beta-binomial variance to the binomial variance.
It is (1 + rho*(n-1)).  In the what I take to be the glmmTMB parameterization,
the variance is n*Pi*(1-Pi)*(1+(n-1)/(theta+1))

NB: Using the notation at,
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta-binomial_distribution
but substituting a=alpha and b=beta

Pi=a/(a+b); rho = 1/(a+b+1); theta=a+b]