[R-sig-ME] different overdispersion parameter for binomial GLMM in lme4, glmmADMB and glmmTMB

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:19:09 CET 2018

Ariel, can you post this as an issue at
https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/issues ?  This stuff is really hard
to get right ...

  Thomas: I think an important point is that it really only makes much
sense to focus on the dispersion in a model that does *NOT* already
have a dispersion parameter estimated.  If you want to choose among
models with different forms of dispersion, I would probably suggest
AIC (which reduces to comparing log-likelihood for models with the
same number of parameters -- if the two models aren't nested, as they
probably aren't, you can't do a statistical test, but you can still
see which one fits the data better).