[R-sig-ME] Estimates for groups within fixed effects & also: enough info for estimating variance? MCMCglmm

Drager, Andrea Pilar andrea.p.drager at rice.edu
Wed Mar 7 18:29:54 CET 2018

Hi Jarrod,

Thanks so much for your reply & patience with my lack of stats/math saavy.

If fitting the model to include us(Znnd):species, I'm unsure of how to
specify the prior. Based on your Course Notes, I've tried:
priorI= list(R = list(V = 1, nu = 0, fix = 1), G = list(G1 = list(V =
diag(2) * 0.02, nu = 2),
+                  G2 = list(V = 1,nu = 0.002)))

Where (G1 = list(V = diag(2) * 0.02, nu = 2) represents a 2 X 2 matrix
of distances between individuals X species Is this the correct matrix
size, since Znnd is continuous? It was hard to extrapolate from the
us(1+time:chick) data as there were only two time points per
chick...but I understand that with categorical predictors, you would
have a matrix that is the size of the number of categories.

Would it be possible to walk me through how to specify nu? For
example, the difference between specifying nu=dim(V)+1 vs nu=dim(V)? I
see us() examples with both and am unclear as to their relative merits
other than their both being attempting  to be uninformative?

Also, my response variable contains high replication (>1000) for the
majority of species but very low replication for a few (16, 20, 24),
and is very skewed towards having more zeroes than ones overall.

I have yet to follow up on your suggestions for part 2.

Many thanks,

Andrea