[R-sig-ME] Including random effects creates structure in the residuals

Paul Johnson paul.johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 12:03:17 CET 2018

Hi Pierre,

I don’t think there is a problem with the residuals. Just to check, the problem you see is that there’s a linear trend in the residuals vs fitted values plot when the ID random effect is included (which in a standard OLS LM would be impossible).

The reason for the correlation is that the fitted values contain the ID random effects, and these are inevitably correlated with the residuals. My intuitive understanding of this is as follows. Say some students sit a test twice, on two separate days. A student's score on a given day will be a combination of their ability (ID random effect) and unmeasured (i.e. noise) factors, like how the student was feeling on that day. Assuming that both ability and luck contribute substantially to the scores, it’s inevitable that the extreme upper end of the distribution will be populated by scores from students who are both able (high ID random effect) and were lucky on that day (high error residual). The same goes in the negative direction for the lower end of the distribution. This the basis of is regression to the mean - if we pick a student with an extreme score and re-test them, we expect their score to be less extreme. If I remember correctly it’s fairly straightforward to predict the correlation of the residuals and fitted values for a given model.

On the broader topic of checking residuals from GLMMs…
I wrote a simple function to check residuals from lme4 fits by simulating residuals from the fitted model and plotting them on top of the real residuals. If they look similar on several simulated data sets them I’m reassured that the model fits well. This is particularly useful for non-normal GLMMs where (despite popular belief) there's no assumption of normality of the Pearson residuals.

library(devtools)
install_github("pcdjohnson/GLMMmisc")
library(GLMMmisc)
library(lme4)
fm1 <- lmer(Reaction ~ Days + (Days | Subject), sleepstudy)
sim.residplot(fm1)
# note the correlation between the residuals and the fitted values

Florian Hartig has written a more sophisticated package that uses the same basic idea called DHARMa:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/DHARMa/index.html
His blog post:
https://theoreticalecology.wordpress.com/2016/08/28/dharma-an-r-package-for-residual-diagnostics-of-glmms/

All the best,