[R-sig-ME] GoodnessOfFit-and-PseudoR²computingFor-glmmTMB-models

Paul Johnson paul.johnson at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 15:53:25 CET 2018

Hi,

My preferred approach to overdispersion is none of 1-3 but to assume it applies (it usually does, for biological data anyway), and make sure the model includes a parameter to model overdispersion. For binomial (except Bernoulli) and Poisson you can include an observation-level random effect (OLRE). You can then gauge the amount of overdispersion in the model from the size of the OLRE variance estimate. (Note the OLRE will mop up variation due to *all* sources of lack of fit, including poor model specification, e.g. fitting a straight line where a curve would fit better.)

Best wishes,
Paul