[R-sig-ME] Specifying the correct LMM for 'unsual' data

Tom Fritzsche tom.fritzsche at uni-potsdam.de
Thu Jan 25 16:08:10 CET 2018

Hi Maarten,

I would not collapse the task and the kind of response (hit/miss) into
one condition predictor. They are conceptually independent as task is
a manipulated factor and response a measured value (covariate in this
model). Also, one of them can vary within pictures the other not (see
model specification below).

So my suggestion would be to have those two predictors:

task: 2-level factor: PM, VS
response: 2-level predictor: hit, miss

Beware of how you specify the contrasts for (all of) the categorical
predictors. The default treatment contrast is most likely not the most
straight-forward way to interpret the model estimates.

Regarding your questions:

1. Am I correct with the maximal linear mixed model specifications?

With the changed predictors I think that this would be the maximal
model. Response can vary also within pictures as each can be a hit or
miss.

lmer(dwell_time ~ age_group * task * response + (1 + task * response |
participant) + (1 + response | picture), data)

2. I think that the data points in the PM-miss-condition (or
PM-hit-condition) are not missing at random because they are missing if
(and only if) there are 6 data point for the same participant in the
PM-hit-condition (and vice versa). Do you think one has to worry about this
and are there any suggestions how to deal with it?

Imbalanced data sets and even missing design cells are not a problem
for mixed models as they take the number of the observation into
account (shrinkage).

Best,
Tom

---