[R-sig-ME] residual variance estimates fixed to 1

Jake Westfall jake.a.westfall at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 23:41:01 CET 2018

Hi Melanie,

As far as I know, lmer never fixes the residual variance to 1 or any other
value, and in fact this isn't even possible to do with lmer (at least not
without resorting to add-on packages). My guess is that in your loop you
accidentally grabbed the wrong field, not the variable giving the residual
variance estimate. If you give us a sample of the code you used, we could
help figure out what happened.

Jake