[R-sig-ME] Accounting for dv score's validity using weights - metafor or lme4?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Sat Jan 20 13:02:16 CET 2018

Hi Isaac,

If I understand you correctly, the data structure looks something like this:

participant response coder value
================================
1           1        1     y
1           1        2     y
...         ...     ...    ...
1           1       25     y
--------------------------------
1           2        1     y
1           2        2     y
...         ...     ...    ...
1           2       25     y
--------------------------------
2           1        1     y
2           1        2     y
...         ...     ...    ...
2           1       25     y
--------------------------------
2           2        1     y
2           2        2     y
...         ...     ...    ...
2           2       25     y
--------------------------------

So, subject 1 gave two responses, each of which was coded by 25 coders; subject 2 gave 2 (or maybe more) responses, again each of which was coded by 25 coders; and so on. I assume the same coders were used across participants (with maybe some slight variation) and that you know who the coders were (so coder 1 for subject 1 is the same person as coder 1 for subject 2, since the coder ID numbers are the same).

I see no need for treating this 'meta-analytically'. You have the raw data, so you might as well analyze them as such. A starting point to consider would be a model along the lines of:

lme(y ~ 1 + (1 | participant/response) + (1 | coder), ...)

that is, random effects for participants, random effects for responses within participants, and then crossed random efects for coders (since coders may have a propensity to give higher/lower values, regardless of whose participant's responses they are coding).

Since the outcome represents a probability, you might run into floor/ceiling issues, leading to violations of distributional assumptions (normality of random effects, normality of residuals), so this is something to examine.

Best,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD