[R-sig-ME] How can I make R using more than 1 core (8 available) on a Ubuntu Rstudio server ?

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Jan 18 21:16:04 CET 2018

@DB, I thought you were retired :)  But, to the OP, lme4 functions already take advantage of many computational methods that make computing these models to large data sets faster than (virtually) all other packages for estimating mixed linear models.

The packages you might come across for parallel processing won't necessarily apply here. For example, the foreach package is fantastic, but could not be applied to a glmer model.

Although, Doug, I do recall coming across some work I think in the Microsoft R distribution that did some parallel computing for matrix problems by default. I'm saying this by memory and cannot recall specifics.

With that said, I'm not certain parallel processing is the right thing to do with problems of this sort. Iteration t+1 depends on iteration t and when solutions to the problem live on a different processor, the expense of combining those things back together is not always faster, but instead can actually be even more expensive and slower.