[R-sig-ME] Choosing best approach for a crossover experiment

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Dec 12 09:11:34 CET 2017

Dear Bradley,

For your first question you could consider the combination of crossed
and interaction random effects. (1|Subject) + (1|Date) +
(1|Subject:Date) That might be overkill given that you have only 4
observations for each level of Subject:Date. Therefore I'd rather go
for (1|Subject) + (1|Date).

For the second one: though not the most efficient design to test 6
treatment, it seems reasonable to me to analyse them with a single
model.

For the last question: What is hard to normalise? The response or the
residuals? Note that only the residuals are assumed to be normal.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE
AND FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx op inbo.be
Kliniekstraat 25, B-1070 Brussel
www.inbo.be

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no
more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be
able to say what the experiment died of. ~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher
The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body
of data. ~ John Tukey

Van 14 tot en met 19 december 2017 verhuizen we uit onze vestiging in
Brussel naar het Herman Teirlinckgebouw op de site Thurn & Taxis.
Vanaf dan ben je welkom op het nieuwe adres: Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel.