[R-sig-ME] spatial covariance structure in glmmTMB

Alice Domalik adomalik at sfu.ca
Wed Oct 11 20:37:35 CEST 2017

In the end, I was able to run the following model:

m1<-glmmTMB(count~waterdepth + temperature + chl.conc + (1|individual) + gau(coord + 0| group), family=list(family="truncated_nbinom1", link="log"), data=mydata)

Where 'coord' are the spatial coordinates (UTM) represented as a factor, and 'group' is a single level.

group<-factor(rep(1,n))

However, I get the error:

Warning message:
In glmmTMB(count ~ waterdepth + temperature + :
Model convergence problem; non-positive-definite Hessian matrix. See vignette('troubleshooting')

I didn't have this error when I initially ran my model without a covariance structure.
Any advice on how I should move forward?

Thanks!!! Alice