[R-sig-ME] mixed-effects model with partially nested fixed effects

Jake Westfall jake.a.westfall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 16:54:24 CEST 2017

Hi Yuqi,

Because each subject has only a single row, you don't need random effects
for subjects. You do have observations nested in experiments, so you
probably want some sort of experiment effects. Right now you have fixed
experiment effects, but random effects probably make more sense.

The maximal model
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.703.657&rep=rep1&type=pdf>
w/
random experiment effects would be like:
lmer(DV ~ movement_type*motor_effort + (movement_type*motor_effort|
experiment))

In case of convergence problems, you can probably drop the random
movement_type*motor_effort
interaction, but usually it's best to decide what to drop by eyeballing the
nonconverged results to see which random effects seem extraneous (due to
either 0 estimated variance or perfect estimated correlations with other
random effects).

As for how to center, it depends on what you're interested in. A good
reference here is Enders & Tofighi
<http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.928.9848&rep=rep1&type=pdf>
.

Jake