[R-sig-ME] MCMCglmm error message: MME singular: use a stronger prior

Drager, Andrea Pilar andrea.p.drager at rice.edu
Sat Sep 30 02:28:51 CEST 2017

Hi All,

I've received the MCMCglmm error message: Mixed model equations
singular: use a (stronger) prior

In general, I'm curious what prior this refers to if one is specifying
priors for both fixed and random effects?

More specific to my case:

My model is has a binary response, two continuous fixed effects and
two random effects. I have a dataset of individual tree measurements
for 23 species, and the issue that has caused this error is that one
of the fixed effects, Zabund, is fixed per species, so that each
individual of a species has the same value for this.

Error in MCMCglmm(tally ~ Zabund + Zdbh + Znnd, random = ~phylo +
code, family = "categorical",  :
   Mixed model equations singular: use a (stronger) prior

priorI = list(R = list(V = 1, nu = 0, fix = 1), G = list(G1 = list(V =
1,nu = 0),
                                                          G2=list(V=1,nu=0)))

Thanks for any insight,

Andrea Pilar Drager
PhD. student
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Rice University