[R-sig-ME] Getting the right uncertainties when fitting multilevel models

Jonathan Judge bachlaw01 at outlook.com
Mon Sep 25 04:07:34 CEST 2017

Not entirely sure what you are looking for but I believe the example just extrapolates from the random effects having a normal default distribution and adds an interval of 2 SDs to the county intercept plus underlying population coefficient estimate to get the likely range for a particular county.

Better ways to approximate this confidence interval now would be to either use merTools (which extends the arm::sim function to simulate intervals for mixed model parameters / intercepts) or bootMer, which gives similar approximations in a more robust way (and often provides narrower / more confident estimates in my experience). Any true Bayesian method, such as the stan_glmer function, will usually provide even more robust estimates, as Gelman indicates, and return intervals by default.

As always, sample size is important. The larger the sample, the less that the difference in method matters. IIRC, the radon data set is sufficiently small that incorporating uncertainty into the model is probably beneficial.

I suspect Gelman’s point is that the rstanarm package is now sufficiently comparable to lme4 for ease of use that he will start with rstanarm as his gateway drug (instead of lme4) and then move to Stan code from there. But I guess we’ll have to see.

Best,
Jonathan