[R-sig-ME] Query

Ian Dworkin ian.dworkin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 21:04:18 CEST 2017

Jake

 true, but relating the old ANOVA based mixed nomenclature to the newer one
is sometimes difficult, at least with respect to what people often think is
being modeled.

in the old terminology the interaction between a fixed factor and random
effect resulted in a new random effect that was usually interpreted to mean
something like what Ben had as
(1|r:f)

However, more often than not what the researcher meant to look at was more
of the second situation
(f|r)

In quantitative genetics this comes up all the time with Genotype by
Environment interactions. Genotype (g) is usually a random effect (i.e.
different families in a quantitative genetics design), while the
environmental (e) factor (say a diet manipulation) would be the fixed
effect.

It would be common to see models (usually in SAS) where it was the
equivalent of (1|g:e). Apologies I totally forget the SAS notation, so am
keeping it consistent with the lme4 notation.

i.e
~ 1 + e + (1|g) + (1|g:e)

However when you speak to most researchers what they are often interested
in was a model that was really
~ 1 + e + (1+e | g).

I am not disagreeing with any points, just pointing out that sometimes
relating the two has caused much confusion for some researchers.