[R-sig-ME] Query

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 20:34:19 CEST 2017

   I'm going to say something here to get the conversation started, but
this information comes with a giant caveat.  I hope that someone with
more knowledge of experimental designs comes forward ...

  in general an interaction between a random factor r and a fixed factor
f is either

(1|r:f)

(assuming a positive, compound-symmetric variance-covariance matrix) or

(f|r)

(assuming an unstructured variance-covariance matrix).  The latter is
likely to be very expensive if f has more than a few levels.

  Interaction between two random factors would be (1|r1:r2) (you would
have (1|r1) and (1|r2) in the model as well).