[R-sig-ME] afex "mixed" function - issue with Helmert coded contrasts

Henrik Singmann singmann at psychologie.uzh.ch
Tue Sep 12 17:34:40 CEST 2017

Hi Lindsey,

The only thing check_contrasts (which was check.contrasts in previous
versions) does, is set the contrasts for all categorical variables to
"contr.sum". If you do not want to use contr.sum but your own coding set
it to FALSE. It has no additional functionality. If you set it to FALSE,
you obviously have to make sure that the contrasts of the other
categorical variables are orthogonal (e.g., are contr.helmert or
contr.sum). Models with interactions of categorical variables that are
not orthogonal are somewhat nonsensical (if type=3, which is the default
in afex).

If you then want to obtain p-values for each individual level of the
variable (i.e., if your categorical variable has more than 2 levels),
you can use the per_parameter argument, e.g., per_parameter =
"two_flashes". Note that this will test the individual parameters for
all interaction involving this factor. You can use regular expressions
to change this (see below).

Note that you need to use method="nested-KR" (or "LRT" or "PB") to use
this functionality. That is currently not correct in the examples in
?mixed, I will have to change this in the next version (the contrasts
thing in the examples is also wrong, I am not sure why I did such a bad
job there).  A correct example combining this would be:

require(afex)
data(obk.long)

# Examples for using the per.parameter argument:
data(obk.long, package = "afex")
obk.long$hour <- ordered(obk.long$hour)
contrasts(obk.long$phase) <- "contr.sum"
contrasts(obk.long$treatment) <- "contr.sum"

# tests only the main effect parameters of hour individually per parameter.
mixed(value ~ treatment*phase*hour +(1|id), per_parameter = "^hour$",
data = obk.long, method = "nested-KR", check_contrasts = FALSE)

# tests all parameters including hour individually
mixed(value ~ treatment*phase*hour +(1|id), per_parameter = "hour", data
= obk.long, method = "nested-KR", check_contrasts = FALSE)

Finally, note that an intercept only model is probably not a great idea.
In your case, the maximal model seems out of reach (just judging from
the number of fixed effects), but you should probably take a look at the
following three paper for some discussion. The punchline is that some of
those fixed effects probably need some random slopes to keep the Type I
errors within reasonable bounds.

Barr, D. J., Levy, R., Scheepers, C., & Tily, H. J. (2013). Random
effects structure for confirmatory hypothesis testing: Keep it maximal.
Journal of Memory and Language, 68(3), 255–278.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2012.11.001

Matuschek, H., Kliegl, R., Vasishth, S., Baayen, H., & Bates, D. (2017).
Balancing Type I error and power in linear mixed models. Journal of
Memory and Language, 94, 305–315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jml.2017.01.001

Bates, D., Kliegl, R., Vasishth, S., & Baayen, H. (2015). Parsimonious
Mixed Models. ArXiv:1506.04967 [Stat]. Retrieved from
http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.04967

Hope that helps,
Henrik