[R-sig-ME] choice of reference category only changes coefficient with uncorrelated random intercept and slope

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 20:04:12 CEST 2017

Not sure, but ...

I think this is real. (If I were going to pursue it further I would
probably try running some simulations.)  I think the asymmetry you're
seeing is most likely related to the nonlinearity inherent in a GLMM;
if that's true, then the effect should go away if you were using a LMM
instead of a GLMM ...