[R-sig-ME] nAGQ = 0

Poe, John jdpo223 at g.uky.edu
Mon Sep 4 00:51:40 CEST 2017

I'm pretty sure that nAGQ=0 is generating conditional modes of group values
for the random effects without subsequently using a laplace approximation.
This is really not something that you want to do unless it's a last resort.
It's kind of like estimating a linear probability model with a random
intercept and using the values for that in the cloglog model. My
understanding is that it's not even an option in most other software.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here because what I've found on it
has been kind of vague and I'm making some assumptions.

My guess is that the random intercepts/slopes are going to be too small and
their distributions could be distorted if you're not actually approximating
the integral with something like quadrature or mcmc. That's the case with
PQL and MQL according to simulation evidence at least and even though this
isn't the same as PQL I'd expect a similar problem at first blush.

As to if this is a real practical problem or a theory  problem there's been
kind of a disagreement on that within the stats literature. Some people
argue, in binary outcome models, that biased random intercepts can bias
everything else and others have argued this fear is overblown. This might
well have been settled by actual statisticians by now, I'm not sure.  It's
gotten enough attention in the literature that people certainly worried
about it a lot.

Below are two articles on the topic with simulations but I've seen the
fixed effects results (and LR tests) change based on the random effects
approximation technique in my work so I'm always a bit paranoid about it.
Model misspecification and having oddly shaped random intercepts (as with
count models) can seem to make this problem worse.

You can try using the BRMS package if you aren't comfortable switching to
something totally unfamiliar. It's a wrapper for Stan designed to use lme4
syntax and a lot of good default settings. It's pretty easy to use if you
know lme4 syntax and can read up on mcmc diagnostics.

Litière, S., et al. (2008). "The impact of a misspecified random‐effects
distribution on the estimation and the performance of inferential
procedures in generalized linear mixed models." Stat Med 27(16): 3125-3144.

McCulloch, C. E. and J. M. Neuhaus (2011). "Misspecifying the shape of a
random effects distribution: why getting it wrong may not matter."
Statistical Science: 388-402.