[R-sig-ME] {nlme} Question about modeling Level two heteroscedasticity in HLM

Phillip Alday phillip.alday at mpi.nl
Thu Aug 17 16:09:23 CEST 2017

I'm not sure, but I think

1. the random slopes may be able to handle this without really doing
anything special

2. in a variation on that idea, you could also the same variable as a
fixed effect and as a grouping variable for a random intercept (see e.g.
Thierry Onkelinx's quadratic example:
http://rpubs.com/INBOstats/both_fixed_random )

3. in yet another variation on that same idea, you could also have an
observation-level random effect.

There may additionally be ways of modelling this by specifying some
covariance structure in nlme.

Phillip