[R-sig-ME] Comparing variance components of crossed effects models fit with lme4 and nlme

Joshua Rosenberg jmichaelrosenberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:21:51 CEST 2017

Thank you for helping me build a "model" around these ideas and
distinctions.

Regarding point 2 (below), for software such as brms, I notice that some
kind of (sorry if my language is too loose here) estimate is produced for
fixed effects parameters, as well as their standard errors. Based on brm's
use (I think) of stochastic optimization and inferences based on means and
distributions, do these estimates correspond to something like the maximum
point - or rather to the mean of the posterior distribution?

thank you very much again
Josh