[R-sig-ME] Comparing variance components of crossed effects models fit with lme4 and nlme

Joshua Rosenberg jmichaelrosenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 18:23:23 CEST 2017

Thank you, I will explore use of INLA (or potentially the brms package
because of my familiarity with the [lme4-like] syntax).

I'm curious whether you (or anyone else) has thoughts / advice on using a
package that uses a Bayesian approach for carrying out mixed effects
modeling. In my field / area of research, mixed effects models are new! And
so a Bayesian approach to them would be *very *new. Even though if I
understand (very preliminarily), with some (uniform) prior specification,
results can be comparable to models specified with a maximum likelihood
approach, when possible.

Thank you again!
Josh