[R-sig-ME] is a mixed effect model appropiate?

Christian Ritz ritz at nexs.ku.dk
Thu Aug 10 00:06:33 CEST 2017

Dear Tamara,

in my experience it works fine to fit a linear mixed model with lmer()
in cases where there are only few levels of a random effect.

Most of the time the estimated variance (component) (in your case the
between-site variance) will be become 0, most likely reflecting that
there was very little information in the data (not enough sites) for
estimation of this parameter.

I would prefer this approach (including site as a random effect) to
using a decision rule where the number of levels of the random effect
determines whether or not a random effect is included in a model.

Best wishes Christian