[R-sig-ME] Mixed models for repeated measures with missing values

Phillip Alday phillip.alday at mpi.nl
Wed Aug 9 17:53:05 CEST 2017

Instead of trying to determine the correct polynomial degree, why not
use a GAM and let the smoother do that work for you? If you absolutely
need to use a polynomial model, you can pick the degree via
cross-validation, but this is computationally expensive and only works
if you have enough data to be able to do cross-validation. For doing
this as a GAM, you can use either mgcv::gam() or gamm4::gamm().

Depending on how well that works, the heteroskedacity issue may solve
itself. But otherwise, I don't know if weights are really the correct
way to address that issue -- do you have a principled reason for saying
that some observations are more reliable / important than others? If
not, weights don't really make sense.

Finally, it is possible but a bit weird to have something as a fixed
effect and a grouping term in the random effects. Thierry Onkelinx has
posted an example online: https://rpubs.com/INBOstats/both_fixed_random
but again, I would see if using a GAMM makes all this moot.

Best,
Phillip