[R-sig-ME] lme4

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 00:00:54 CEST 2017

(please keep r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org in the cc: list ... I've
been busy the last couple of days, and there's a good chance that
someone else will pop in and answer questions ...)

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:48 PM, Dan Selechnik <danselechnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thank you very much for the reply, but I'm still not sure what exactly is
> the fix here? Every sample has a single ID. Is this my issue...?

 Yes, that's right.

  If you have a single observation per level of the grouping factor
("observation-level random effects") in a *linear* mixed models, the
random-effect variance would be completely confounded with the
residual variance, so there's no point in using a LMM. (However,
observation-level random effects can be useful in GLMMs with binomial
or Poisson response distributions, as a way of measuring
overdispersion.)