[R-sig-ME] Question on random effect

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 13:22:00 CEST 2017

Yes, the assumption is that the random effects are (conditionally)
independent.  It can help to specify covariates  (such as
latitude/longitude or eastings/northings, or environmental conditions
[temperature, elevation, etc.]) for sites to mop up some of the
independence. It is theoretically possible, although I don't know of
an easy off-the-shelf way to do it, to impose (e.g.) spatial
correlation structures at the level of the random effects ...  or you
could examine the spatial dependence of the conditional modes/random
effects and try to convince yourself it was weak ...