[R-sig-ME] response variable distribution-MCMCglmm

Walid walidmawass10 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:57:00 CEST 2017

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding appropriately choosing the distribution for
a response variable in MCMCglmm in R. My variable is a fitness trait
calculated from the total lifetime reproductive success of the
individual, the rate of growth of the population and individual survival
(Following Method in Moorad(2014)).

The variable we arrived at is inflated at zero and the rest of the
values (non-integer and non-negative) fall into an almost gaussian
distribution (descriptively somewhat of a zero inflated Poisson
distribution). After doing lots of research regarding extended
distributions, the best result I found was that this variable may follow
a Tweedie distribution, more specifically a compound Poisson-gamma
distribution (through descriptively comparing the distributions).

The problem here is that I don't know how to include this in my MCMCglmm
model, I do not recall if the families of distributions supported in
MCMCglmm include Tweedie distributions. And if not, I do not know if
there is a convenient approximation method to accommodate this.

I hope my question fits the general requirement of this list that the
subject be related to mixed models.

Thank you in advance

--
Walid Mawass
Maitrise en Biologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire