[R-sig-ME] Question glmmADMB

Mollie Brooks mollieebrooks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 12:47:01 CEST 2017

Dear Wouter,

Unfortunately we can’t see your data and code because attachments are removed from emails sent to this list. I’m guessing your convergence problems could be caused by overfitting. Lacking the code and data, I have some questions...

Is subject the same as participant? Do you have multiple observations for some subjects (i.e. participants) or did aggregating remove the repeated measures? If there are not multiple observations per subject, then you do not need the random effect of subject. Make sure you aggregated the data in a logical way.

How many observations do you have in total? Do you have 10 to 20 per term in the model? Are there observations representing all of the interactions? If not, you may need to simplify the model. I would avoid 3-way interactions (i.e.  Context * Outcome * Language).

You don’t necessarily need to have a zero-inflated model. It’s possible that the zeros can be explained by a low mean. See Warton, D. I. (2005). Many zeros does not mean zero inflation: comparing the goodness-of-fit of parametric models to multivariate abundance data. Environmetrics, 16(3), 275–289. http://doi.org/10.1002/env.702 <http://doi.org/10.1002/env.702>.

I would start with a negative binomial (NB) distribution and see if that converges. This could be done with any of the packages you mention. If it does converge, then try zero-inflated Poisson (ZIP) or zero-inflated negative binomial (ZINB) models (mgcv can do NB and ZIP; glmmTMB can do NB, ZIP, and ZINB). Then do model selection using AIC (only for models fit by the same package unless you know they calculate the likelihood in the same way).

cheers,
Mollie

Mollie E. Brooks, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Researcher