[R-sig-ME] glmmPQL: std.errors in summary and vcov differ

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:40:56 CEST 2017

A reproducible example would be nice.  On the other hand, we can
reproduce this with the example in ?glmmPQL:

library(MASS)
g1 <- glmmPQL(y ~ trt + I(week > 2), random = ~ 1 | ID,
                      family = binomial, data = bacteria)
s1 <- summary(g1)$tTab[,"Std.Error"]
s2 <- sqrt(diag(vcov(g1)))
all.equal(s1,s2)
## [1] "Mean relative difference: 0.009132611"

Let's dig in to see what's happening. As a starting point, class(g1)
is c("glmmPQL","lme"), and if we look at methods("vcov"),
methods("summary"), we can see there are no glmmPQL methods, so these
computations are being handled by nlme:::summary.lme and
nlme:::vcov.lme

vcov.lme is

object$varFix

summary.lme has

stdFixed <- sqrt(diag(as.matrix(object$varFix)))
  if (adjustSigma && object$method == "ML")
        stdFixed <- stdFixed * sqrt(object$dims$N/(object$dims$N -
            length(stdFixed)))

So what's happening is that vcov() is giving you the uncorrected
(maximum likelihood) estimate of the variance-covariance matrix, while
summary is giving you the bias-corrected version.  Since your sample
size is large, the difference is tiny.