[R-sig-ME] statistical significance of group level intercepts in glmer

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue May 30 16:00:08 CEST 2017

Unfortunately, you *can't* test significance of conditional modes (the
values that ranef()) returns; this is the price you pay for treating
them as random variables. However, you *can* extract the 'conditional
variances' of the conditional modes (see p. 28 of the vignette that
comes with lme4).  You can visualize these conditional variances via
`lattice::dotplot(ranef(fitted_model,condVar=TRUE))`.  The development
version of lme4 (on Github) has an as.data.frame method that makes it
easier to extract these values ...