[R-sig-ME] Suggestion for Model convergence problem:non-positive-definite Hessian matrix.

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Wed May 24 03:34:12 CEST 2017

 [cc'ing r-sig-mixed-models at r-project.org]

 Without a repeatable example this is hard.  The only general advice I
can give is:

 - try centering and scaling any continuous predictors
 - you can probably extract some information about the fit (via
VarCorr(), fixef(), etc.) even though the model may not have converged
properly, but it will be hard to trust it
 - visualize your data (look for outlier individual observations or groups)
 - do you have combinations of predictor variables (especially
combinations of fixed effects) that lead to all-zero values?
 - if necessary, try simplifying the model