[R-sig-ME] New version of afex on CRAN now

Henrik Singmann singmann at psychologie.uzh.ch
Sat Apr 15 01:50:20 CEST 2017

Dear list,

After one year without updates, a new version (0.17-8) of afex (Analysis
of Factorial Experiments with ANOVA and Mixed Models) has finally been
accepted on CRAN yesterday:
https://cran.r-project.org/package=afex

This new version comes with a series of new features, mostly related to
mixed models, that might be of interest to some. The full list of
changes can be found here:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/afex/NEWS

The major news are:
- For LMMs, mixed() now supports the Satterthwaite approximation for
obtaining p-values (method="S"), via lmerTest.

- mixed() methods "KR" and "S" are now obtained via tests on the full
model, which can be considerably faster.

- Added a new vignettes containing an extensive mixed model example
analysis:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/afex/vignettes/afex_mixed_example.html

- All arguments and slots with "." in the name have been renamed to use
"_". This may lead to warnings in existing code.

- Added argument all_fit to mixed(). If TRUE, each model (i.e., full and
restricted) is fitted with all available optimizers and the best fit in
each case selected. Can be quite helpful for GLMMs with convergence
problems and method="LRT".

- All returned objects ("mixed", "afex_aov", and "nice") have a pretty
print() method. (Thanks to Frederik Aust)

Given that I occasionally receive questions related to afex and the
existing mailing list can be intimidating I have decided to establish a
support forum at: http://afex.singmann.science/
Feel free to share the address with students or other interested
parties. As some questions seem to repeat, I hope this can become a
valuable resource.

Cheers,
Henrik

--