[R-sig-ME] Specifying models nested crossed random effects

Diana Michl dmichl at uni-potsdam.de
Sun Apr 9 22:12:42 CEST 2017

Hi Josh,

I see you have a discrete, ordinal outcome variable - a scale of 1-4, so
4 possible answers that are ordered.
The lmer-function in lme4 actually needs a continuous outcome variable
(so answers like 1.4, 3.67 should be possible). I recommend the R
package "ordinal": It's especially designed for your kind of response
variable. It allows you to fit the model the same way, except it would
be a logistic regression, but it's not all that different.

(Ok, lme4 might give you the same results still, but it's cleaner this way.)

Diana

--
Diana Michl, M.A.
PhD candidate