[R-sig-ME] Fwd: GLM-normal distribution

Steven J. Pierce pierces1 at msu.edu
Wed Apr 5 14:40:12 CEST 2017

Marcos,

In addition to Ben Bolker's very sound advice, I'd like to suggest that if you've got the technical ability to fit and interpret a glm that is more conceptually appropriate than the lm given the nature of the data, you should just stick with that. The scientific objective should not be to fish for some way to make the effect of interest come out with a significant p-value by running lots of variations on a given analysis, it is to get an accurate and trustworthy answer about your hypothesis without doing any p-hacking. You may be at risk of introducing opportunistic bias into your research here. Take a look at this paper by DeCoster et al. (2015), which discusses this issue and ways to avoid it.

DeCoster, J., Sparks, E. A., Sparks, J. C., Sparks, G. G., & Sparks, C. W. (2015). Opportunistic biases: Their origins, effects, and an integrated solution. American Psychologist, 70(6), 499-514. doi:10.1037/a0039191

Best regards,

Steven J. Pierce, Ph.D.
Acting Director; Associate Director
Center for Statistical Training & Consulting (CSTAT)
Michigan State University